All of you who pre-ordered and helped Notion Ink start building the community must have received an email today. One email is on the confirmation of shipping and the other one is on the delay. Those who are in the later group (5.31%) are angry as I could see their comments and the emails.
It is extremely unfortunate that we are in such a situation. We could not have expected the accidental damage of the touch screen shipment, and that too just days before Chinese New Year eve. Even though the damage was to a part of shipment, we cancelled all because in such a case you cannot predict the defective and working screens manually. Our friends at Sintek requested their employees to miss their New Year week and instead manufacture the lost numbers. Most of them agreed.
Blogs are not easily accessible in China, and these employees don’t speak English. But their mangers do and know how to read your reactions, comments, thoughts on the peoject and are extremely passionate about Adam like you, and probably this is why they were able to convince their employees to work for you.
You shouldn’t go through this useless pain, but there is a whole group at Notion Ink and at our manufacturing plants putting in all the efforts at delivering you Adams. You have came this far with us, I will request for little more patience. We are listening and working on your suggestions at support at notionink dot com or preordersupport at notionink dot com.
[30th Jan: Adam on its way, emails are being sent out]
We saw FCC publishing their break down of Adam, and to be frank even we were little surprised by how they tore apart the pieces and then made it look like, that's how it is assembled. But the more surprising fact was that few blogs published this information with a statement "too many hand soldered wires'.
Try finding few or one wire which is hand soldered yourself in those images. The wires you see have a snap joint and are used for 3G or Wi-Fi antenna connection. Nearly all the connectivity devices are designed like this (open your laptop to see how antennas are connected. One thing which differentiates Adam's design with other is how the Camera is integrated. You need a 185 degree swivel function, and for that you need an assembly design which can ensure 20,000 usage cycles. NVidia's whole SOC is 75x75mm. We have the liberty to expand the motherboard as much as we want, because even the batteries are on the cylindrical edge, and that's the reason you see lot's of free space (which by the way is good for convection).
But one thing is for sure, it isn't a beautiful assembly, something which see in mature players, but we are building more muscle, thanks to your co-operation!
- We have started working on the Honeycomb and looking into how soon can we offer the update to you all! For this to be achieved faster and smoother, we would need a lot of support from NVidia, and we are looking forward to it!
- The second & third phase of shipments will start on time.
- Little bad and good news, one of our shipments for the touch screens got damaged while transportation which is going to effect a fraction of our customers. To make things worse, its New Year in China and every manufacturing plant is closed. But our touch-screen partners, Sinotek (also known as Sintek), will stay open for the Chinese New Year and re-manufacture all the remaining touch screens to deliver. I am making this special note, because we are really overwhelm at their response and want to thank all the employees at their firm who are going to miss their New Year celebrations and home visits.
- K9 and Notion Ink Mail’d team will collaborate for the future email client developments and will be working on the Honeycomb platform. The project will again be open sourced and be shared back with few Notion Ink’s IP under Apache 2 licence.
- Source for other Notion Ink’s Application: If you are looking for the code for any specific apps on the Adam, you can directly write to developers at notionink dot com and they will add you in the priority list! All the softwares developed by Notion Ink are open source and will be shared with the community soon. As far as the SDK goes, we are migrating from 2.2-2.3 to Honeycomb and once the platform is stable, will be shared with the developers.
- We have compiled the list for the next stage of order, and broken the process into 2. First you will receive the email on the purchase availability. Then, a confirmation would be sent on the product chosen’s availability. And then the customers can proceed for the transaction.
We have received a lot of emails from our customers on the Adam, and we really appreciate your response on the same. Some of you reported few bugs which are now fixed in the next updates. Looking forward to hearing you all!
Happy Republic Day to the world! India is one of the better examples of the Democratic Countries in the world. None is as diverse and complex to understand as India is. I have always felt, it’s not a country but continent in itself, sometimes for the good and for the bad. The good part comes when we see and observe the variations in languages, cultures and history. And the bad part comes when I see a division, more states, communal fights, etc. It’s a mixed experience to be here, because from Switzerland to Sahara desert, India has its own instance of every climate, ecological balance or geographic state. This reminds me of one instance when we were making reliability report. We suggested that device should work from -3 to 50 DegC and our Chinese counterpart said, no city will have that temperature range. We told them, Delhi is our capital!
Coming back to the quick updates:
- All next batches will have the updates pre-installed. Our team will get in touch with all the individual customers and help them install the update, so there are no ‘bricking’ issues.
- Next Order stage is starting soon. We are just ensuring that from Mastercard to Banking issues would not be there this time.
- All the members of the NotionAddicts, NotionInkHacks, NotionInkFan and those who commented before 22nd of January WILL be the part of the next pre-order.
- Few blogs reported about the source of Mail’d. I remember posted either in blog or comments, that Mail’d, is indeed based on K9 and is an open source application, and along with the K9 source, our work will also be there in the source code. Jesse (K9 Project Founder) and we at Notion Ink are thrilled with the opportunities of working together.
- XDA community, we love you!
- Chinese New Year is coming, and we are ensuring that the vendors doesn’t loosen up
[Update: Removed for the reason we will soon learn! ]
With Warm Regards
[Updated]: Just got these photos (were shot in HK yesterday)
I just received my box from the Bangalore Airport, and thought should share few images with you. Here we go:
Those color codes are for shipment company to differentiate models and ship the right ones. They are shipped (air) from Hong Kong.
This extra box is the gift box and will bear all the damages that might happen while shipping, from scratches to dents, etc.
This seal is to make sure that your box was never opened, if you do get a broken seal, please report back asap to us. You will have 2 more seals in the inside box, and that’s the last check on genuinity. You can’t remove these seals without leaving a trace on the packaging.
It’s not a cuboid!
That’s your Adam!
This is the stand part. Over the left is how the internal are designed, and over the right is how it is used.
After launching few panels.
Do read the manual first!
An update is already awaiting for you!
Test all the ports, connectivity, the speaker, etc.
And post it online, Adam has arrived!
I saw the comments and again they went on, no promises kept, I have not received, etc etc! My! Hold on for a while. For a little comfort, it might be good to know that all were air-shipped. This is how it happens. It starts from China Factory, then to Hong Kong where our main logistics center is, from there tracking numbers are generated again ( 2 tracking numbers, one from China to Hong Kong, which is not shared with you, and other from Hong Kong to your home, which is what will get updated on the site).
Now let me play with my Adam!
With Warm Regards
Well that was just to catch you guys! Images will speak lot more than I can. See below!
There we go! Shipping starts tomorrow for the FCC and CE batches, your deliver status on the website will be updated soon.
Now I would like to see how the next point is covered (generally there are big flashes all around other blogs with “Notion Ink delayed” tag). We are tying to pre-pone ALL of the February shipments! So if your status read February, it should be changed to the last week of January. February was suggested to you all because we were not sure of how the FCC will work out (based on which we need to decide on the procurements), and added buffers while giving you the time lines.
We are as excited as you are!